Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Daily Bread

Until recently I was not much of a label-reader in the grocery store. I tried to buy lots of fresh foods without the need for labels, and for the rest I trusted my instincts. But then came The Omnivore's Dilemma and my blissful ignorance was over. Three weeks ago I turned over the package of "healthy" whole grain bread I purchased and drowned in a paragraph of preservatives and five different kinds of sugar. (A similar epiphany happened when I discovered the high fructose corn syrup lurking in my canned kidney beans, but that is another story.)

At that point I decided to start making the vast majority of the bread we eat here at home. Again I feel I am coming late to the party on this, but I'm happy just to have found something that works for us. Here's the recipe I'm using:

Whole Wheat Bread

Posted by Ruth Uitto on all recipes.com

The original recipe was geared to making four loaves of bread, but here I have adjusted the amounts to yield two loaves. The reason for this is simple-- I use my KitchenAid mixer for the kneading, and that is the amount of dough it can handle. The dough can of course be mixed and kneaded by hand.

2 TBSP plus 2 tsp shortening
½ C hot water
½ C brown sugar
1 ½ packages yeast
2 C warm water
2 TBSP white sugar
2 tsp salt
3 C bread flour
3 C whole wheat flour

Dissolve shortening and brown sugar in ½ C hot water and let cool. While this is cooling, dissolve yeast in 2 C warm water in bowl of mixer. Using paddle attachment, combine with white sugar, salt and bread flour. Add the shortening mixture and combine. Then, a cup at a time, add the whole wheat flour. (I typically switch to the dough hook after the first cup of ww flour. ) Once 3 C whole wheat flour has been added, I knead in the mixer with the dough hook for 5 minutes. Then turn out into greased bowl and turn dough to coat all over. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise until doubled, 1-2 hours.

Shape into loaves and place in greased pans, cover with plastic wrap. Let rise 1 hour. Remove plastic wrap and bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes.


I want to play with decreasing the sugar a little bit, but this has been a foolproof recipe for me, and is free of preservatives. It works well for sandwiches or toast. I used unbleached bread flour and organic stone ground whole wheat flour.

And then there is something spiritually satisfying about making the bread our family eats, seeing the fat brown loaves cooling on the counter, smelling the wholesome aroma through the house.
Enjoy!

6 comments:

Susanne said...

Now you have me craving fresh hot bread but of course, I would have mine dripping in butter, which would definitely push it into the unhealthy catagory. :v)

That is a beautiful picture, Missy, of the loaves and the mixer behind. You have a great eye.

Anonymous said...

It is sad how much HFCS is in foods, even in pretzels. We don't eat much bread but I think homebaking in any form is very soul satisfying. Your family might not be able to thank you now but someday they will. It really is part of huge social divide. I find making food choices to be more difficult now.

Here is a small carnival of bread baking that you might find interesting.

http://liltinghouse.clubmom.com/the_lilting_house/2006/11/impromptu_minic.html

Katy said...

yum. I used to do this, but have fallen off the wagon. I mainly used my bread machine.
Have you tried using Cornell mix with your white flour to add more nutrients to your baking?

Missy K said...

No Katy-- do tell-- what is that- and where can I get it??

Robin Fehr said...

Thanks for sharing this post!
I am always looking to try new/ different bread recipes.
So - I'll give it a go.

Regarding the suger reduction - have you thought about replacing it with a couple TBSP Molasses, & a couple honey (and maybe a couple brwn. sugar)?

...I can almost smell the bread in that photo!....

Rachel said...

The loaves look so beautiful, Missy! I cheer you on girlfriend, you rock! I'll just let you tweek and work on the bread and beans and glean from you once again. Love ya! Thanks for the pursuit lately when I've been mia.