I must being by saying thank you to sweet
Susanne , who honored me with a Creative Blogger Award. Blogging has given me such a gift, by making a space for me, both in cyberspace and in my day, to unite my loves of writing, photography, cooking, homekeeping, and parenting into one form of expression. I receive so much inspiration from other women who dig deep every day for words, images and projects and put them out here for us, to enrich our lives. I am also feeling grateful on a very practical level today: after rummaging around in freezer and fridge and cupboards, I have found raw materials enough for several meals to make over the next couple of days and store in the freezer. Today I put a chicken pot pie and a huge dish of homemade macaroni and cheese on ice, tomorrow I'll add meatballs, pizza Stromboli and whitefish cakes. (These are made like crab cakes, but with the whitefish I never seem to cook correctly.) I feel "paid double" by these dishes, in that they are being made with small, odd amounts of ingredients, and that they are my insurance policy, on weary evenings, against an unplanned meal out.
Finally the picture with this post is not just to torment all of us who are counting the days until autumn arrives, it ties into my latest favorite children's book:
Pumpkins. Not a Halloween story, Pumpkins by Mary Lyn Ray is a delightful story of love for the land, hard work, self-sacrifice and conservation, told with wonderful language and humor. We had checked it out once before in the spring, and I enjoyed it even more the second time around as Joshua read it to us last night. I have requested her other books. And also in our stack: When I Was Young in the Mountains. Cynthia Rylant has become a perennial choice of mine, and this Caldecott Honor book has the Appalachian soul that appeals to this Blue Ridge girl. Happy Monday, everyone!
7 comments:
You so deserve the award, Missy. I love coming here. It's peaceful and your posts are put together so wonderfully and the pictures just beautiful. Love it!
Now you've inspired me to make some freezer meals. I never seem to think through that kind of thing but really, some stuff is so easy just to double up and then freeze for those days I'm tooooo tired to cook.
congratulations missy!! you deserve it girly. now don't let it go to your head, i know how you are about these things...buhahaha!!
and thx for the bk recommendations. i'll add it to my pg in my new notebk! i should retitle it: "bks missy recommends."
"When I Was Young in the Mountains" is one of this Blue Ridge, English major girl's favorite books, too. Rach, you will like it.
hee!
I was just drooling over the orange pumpkins and thinking happy autumn thoughts...wondering why you posted them when I am sweating here in 90 degree weather.
I can't WAIT for the fall!
I can't wait for fall but its still months away for me :)
I am now looking for Pumpkins... thank you.
I came here looking for glimpses of His grace.
And I always find that.
Warm blessings on you...
Ann
I finally got around to reading Pumpkins. I loved the book and will read it to Citcat this afternoon. I read it for the first time at about 2am while my little guy played happily at my feet. I know you aren't supposed to encourage a child by turning on the light at night but he has been crying every night for a couple of hours. Sitting in the dark with him while he cries is no fun so last night I took a stack of books into his room and just read while he played. He finally went back to sleep at 3am after much whimpering and some bickering between dh and me.
This is all to say thank you for recommending a book that I throughly enjoyed even at 2am. :)
You might like Flute's Journey by Lynne Cherry. It has a similar but different theme.
Post a Comment