Sunday, February 24, 2008

Inspired

Well, um, wow. . . We had one of those afternoons that we'll be chewing on for awhile, tasting every bit of the good from it, over and over. . .We asked a friend from church, an older woman who is in John's Sunday school class and who has been especially kind to the boys, to join us for lunch. We got Mexican at a local restaurant, and sat and talked with each other over quesadillas, and then she invited us to come to her house, a few moments from the restaurant.

She lives in an octagon-shaped home, three rooms, all hardwood and tile and cedar shake and windows. It is a spare and perfect as a piece of art, as the amazing local art that hangs on her walls. There in the space and light, with the profusion of nothing except books, and on her countenance, was everything we have ever read about voluntary simplicity. Every object selected for usefulness or beauty and mostly both, no more than would fit and a tiny home that felt spacious. "Enough as good as a feast."

Everything was touched with her vibrant spirit. We came away with so much to process, a desire to drink in everything we thought. I am not writing about it well even now, but I had to get some of it down, and behind it all-- the real deal-- that so clearly by saying "no" to some things, she has said a full and singing "yes" to others. And so, is there any space in our home, schedules, budget, brains, where we are called to say a small "no" that could pave the way for a deeper, truer "yes?"

3 comments:

Katy said...

Yes, oh YES.
What a lovely day this sounds like. Lovely and inspiring. I'm going to chew on this inspiration too.

Rachel said...

... being a good steward of every nook and cranny given to us. good thoughts for me to consider. oh to not be wasting even a corner!

so glad you had such a delightful time missy!

tonia said...

I'm greedy for more! I wish you could have tucked a little camera into your bag and showed us all. This is exactly what I long for....yet I think I need a step by step instruction manual on how to do it!

sigh. I wish you could pop over for lunch and we could figure it out. :)