I had mono this spring. Actually, February through the first of May seemed one long siege of sickness, but that last one. . . I was sicker than I have ever been, and still recovering my energy even now. Sick enough that I looked around at home projects I had done and marveled that apparently in other times I've had the strength to keep up with laundry and housework and cooking and create and paint and arrange too.
The photo above is like a little celebration-- the first day I slipped the strap of my camera around my neck and squinted into the viewfinder. And a few days after that, I traced and ironed on the designs for the lovely
Alicia's Pleasant Kitchen dishtowels and threaded my needle. Last night, the kitchen smelled like homemade granola bars that I didn't have to make, that I made only to see the smiles of my boys at breakfast.As I began to recover, I spent a lot of time mulling over what I missed. When all the busyness of even this quiet homebody was stripped away, when the thought of anything optional was purely exhausting, what did I miss? In addition to the strength to wife and mother in the way I want, what did I long for in those long hours? And what slipped away without my notice, and left space and time that was a benefit and not a loss?
When I could move beyond the "have-tos," to what would I want to return?
I missed taking pictures. I missed baking bread and making cards and embroidering. I missed "fluffing up" our house and moving things around for a fresh perspective. I missed puttering outside. I missed the mental energy for long e-mail chats about what really matters. I missed the thousand little luxuries of doing simple things well and artfully and with attention.
And, a bit to my surprise, I missed this space. This place to share little bits and pieces, the moment when I read back over something I've written and my life somehow makes more sense to me, that feeling of connection and understanding with others, the conviction I have long held that a life examined creatively is more fully lived.
So I'm back. Never sure of how frequently or how well. Quietly, thankful for even the energy to consider words and images lovingly shaped.
Hello. Spring is here. When you are away from your life for some reason, what do you miss? What do you let fall away?
7 comments:
Glad to see you again : )
I often think of giving up my blog, especially when it gets too personal for me.
But I always wonder if I would regret having that extra motivation to record the little things in life.
Oh, Meredith, I know what you mean-- but what I discovered in my time away is that I was not recording those little things-- at least not the way I would like to.
missy,
i have been praying for you...and missing you!! i am so glad to see you back in this space - though you would be my treasured friend with or without a blog.
looking forward to more chats about important things. :)
much love,
t
I miss friends and conversations and little bits of me in my day. :)
I miss learning new things, seeing new things, experiencing new friendships. :)
Yes-- Katy-- I think for mommies the "me" moments are the first to go when we are pushed toward our limits, and definitely missed.
Welcome back, Missy! You have been missed greatly. I am so glad you are feeling better and pray that your recovery will continue til you are back to full health and strength.
When I am "away" in body or mind, I miss cooking big, colorful meals and having lots of people over, working in my garden, and laughing with my boys. I've never been so physically sick like you have been recently, but trials and the blues can take me away from my normal self. But in those times, I learn so much and come back thankful for all the gifts, large and small, from a gracious Father's hands.
Blessings to you...and Happy Mother's Day!
Beth
so glad to read your words, hear your voice, and see an image from you dear! am grateful you are entering back in. i'm writing from our last full day at camp.
i would second beth's comment... that i miss doing the same daily things with a bit more gusto. those daily little things soulemama talks about in her latest post... appreciating and arranging and watching for and planning ahead and being truly present in the mudane moments to make them beautiful.... to see where they already are beautiful.
can't wait to catch up soon!
Post a Comment