Monday, January 29, 2007

Best Laid Plans


Well, no winter walk, no family adventure. A sleepless night on Friday, a six year old wailing with the pain of an ear infection early Saturday, a fervent "thank you" prayer for a pediatrician with weekend hours. Yucky medicine, homemade pizza, a library bag spilling with books and videos. Parents who had forgotten the grainy eyes and wooden movements that follow a restless night. Lots of coffee.


A snapshot of a weekend we had other hopes for, and yet I am thankful this day that the same six year old went happily off to school, where they are celebrating the 100th day of the year. The three year old sniffles and plays with blocks, and we have nowhere we have to go in the cold this morning. The pantry is stocked, and the washing machine is doing its work.


We are enjoying our library finds very much. Guided by other blogs, we brought home Days to Celebrate and A Family of Poems: My Favorite Poetry for Children. The first one is one I definitely want to own-- it has calendars for each month of the year, with poetry and activities to mark historic events and people. It is a real treasure trove.


The poetry collection came home because I realize I have been remiss in introducing poetry to the boys. They seemed to really connect with the half dozen we read last night. I am thinking of doing a semi-formal poetry study with them in the summer.
This morning is bitter cold, and it feels like a bit more of a Monday than usual. But with that comes newness, and new mercy.




1 comment:

Susanne said...

Hope your little one is better soon!