
So, this is what I do, some days. I put my camera around my neck, I slip my little case of close-up filters into my pocket, and I make my rounds, through the house, looking, breathing, waiting. The slant of sun across the table. A perfect piece of fruit. A flower that will be past its prime tomorrow. Some arrangement of objects of beauty or use that pleases my eye and lens. And I shoot and shoot, and fuss with things a little, but the very best shots, the ones that surprise, are usually waiting for me, composed already.
I am legally blind. I can't drive a car. When people use the expression, "Got her nose buried in a book," well, that is really me when I read. Thanks to big text and a large flatscreen monitor, I am not ruining my posture or my back and neck muscles by writing this. So I cannot explain exactly what happens when I raise a viewfinder to my dancing, nearsighted eye.
I cannot explain, but as a person of faith, I know. There is some breath of the Holy Spirit between me and that lens. God made me in His image, and though my eyes are broken, He made me to see. And to bear witness. It is not such a strange thing really-- a God who parts seas to dry land and makes barren wombs fruitful. This is His regular business. But it is holy. And I praise Him.
More on seeing tomorrow. . .
5 comments:
Beautiful post, Missy! Thank you! I am not legally blind, but I am guilty of only seeing the "big picture". God has used photography in my life to help me see glorious details I would otherwise overlook. In His Amazing Grace!
What a beautiful post!
I was just thinking to myself how wonderful your photos are...then I read you are legally blind! Wow!
Missy, God is ministering to me through your words here. I wrote in my journal today: "I am looking for little things." And so you do. And He gives you eyes of the heart to see... Faith.
Thank you, Missy. Thank you.
All is grace,
Ann
i love how we can see Him in all the simple gifts of the day--
Post a Comment