Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Seeing


So, as to making art, seeing may happen at the moment before the shutter button is pressed, within the frame of the viewfinder. And sometimes it might happen, in this digital age, when a "thowaway" shot, enlarged on the monitor, reveals something unexpected, unperceived as the picture was taken. Then the rueful laugh-- "Not what I was after, but I'll take it." Those are the photographs that are gifts, when the work was just being present, and taking a moment before rejecting the unintended .
So I am learning in my art to begin with intention and then be willing to let go and accept an outcome I did not plan. And this is a lesson my mothering could use as well. Sometimes the careful plans I make for fun and connection make beautiful memories, and sometimes they fall flat. And then some mundane moment gives me a glimpse of one of my boys' hearts, some treasured passion or secret hurt, and I have to be right there, be fully present or miss it. Be willing to discard my plans and leave the good and better for the best. Intention is powerful and beautiful, and necessary, but sometimes attention is all that is needed.
And of course, this acknowleges as well that there is a more powerful Love than mine at work in my babies' lives, and He allows me to partner with Him sometimes, and sometimes just be in awe of what He is working out. And then my job is to be, to see, to lean in to look more closely, to bear witness, to interpret, to be humble, and to praise.

3 comments:

Miriam said...

Missy,

You have a BEAUTIFUL blog. I so enjoyed this post, and the last. I love those aspects of God. Thank you so much for sharing your beauty!

(Found you at the Sacred Everyday - appreciate your thoughts there.)

Susanne said...

That is absolutely beautiful! Being fully present even in the mundane moments of our children's lives so we might not miss the hidden things. Beautifully put!

Ann Voskamp @Holy Experience said...

Missy, your words have a depth and beauty to them that is quite uncommon--a wisdom from above. (I could have highlighted your entire post for gems!)

I am learning and listening. Thank you. Please keep speaking...

All is grace,
Ann