Friday, January 26, 2007

Winter Adventure


Just a little glimpse of what I hope we will be doing this weekend. This was taken a few weeks ago when we took advantage of the spring-like weather and the waterfall book John received for Christmas to find a nearby falls. (Not the one in the Mothering post below-- as I write this, I realize we are rather into waterfalls. :)
This morning it was 26 degrees here, which is chilly for this Southern girl, but tomorrow it will reach 60 and we will find some path or playground to run and climb and exhaust some winter-pent-up boy energy.
I love our excursions, the feeling of the four of us setting off on a little adventure. So much of this happy atmosphere is due to John's easygoing attitude. When I was growing up, any small change in plans, any obsticle, was a source of tension and conflict, something for which blame had to be laid. John is a roll-with-the-punches, figure out a different kind of fun sort, which equips him pretty well for fatherhood in general. Not to mention marriage to this temprmental girl. His goodwill has made me more eager to pack some snacks and some books on tape and head out with the slimmest of agendas. And I know the boys are soaking in this quiet, good natured and simple spirit too.
So this weekend I am hoping for crafting, and knowing there is some needed shopping to be done, there are piles of books and Netflixed movies, but I hope sometime Saturday finds our car bowling down some dappled road, the hills and valleys a thousand shades of caramel, wheat and dove gray, backpack full of apples and cheese and crackers, camera loaded and ready. And four faces in the windows, alight with contented togetherness.

5 comments:

Susie said...

I have to admit to you that I have really enjoyed reading your entries. You have created such a calm and warm atmosphere here. I thank you for this little peace (and piece) in my day :)

Have a blessed weekend, Missy :)

Susanne said...

Love that picture! Pictures of roads just invite me to see what's at the end of them. I hope you get to have your nice walk. I love waterfalls, too!

Unknown said...

Missy,
It was so good to read this post. We had this kind of day in our family too... a wandering on winter roads, good to be outside, good to be together kind of day. And, we all have rosy cheeks from all the sun, in winter, who knew ;)

Unknown said...

p.s.
tee hee... Missy, j is for Jill, from SBLand. Lest you think a stranger has come. I must have something weird saved as my google secret identity.

tonia said...

it is a blessing to be married to a happy, gentle man, isn't it? I have that gift as well...and oh, how I thank God for him!!!

Hope you've had a lovely weekend.