Wednesday, May 09, 2007

A Sprig or Two

A peek out of our sliding glass door onto the patio, where my herbs have their home this year. I had already bought a few plants, earlier in the season, and yet I bought more when I returned to the Farmer's Market with my friend Mollie last weekend. Another sort of basil which I believe is called "Pesto Perfect," a lime thyme, another lemon thyme, orange mint, a Tuscan Blue rosemary. . . Many will stay here on the patio, convenient to water and use, and to winter over, and others will go in the ground. A little English lavender and the rosemary are already planted by my Julia Child rose.

I love herbs. I cook with them when I have them, of course, but I also love their usefulness, their variety, their fragrances and the way a sprig of lemon thyme is spring to me.

Have a happy day, and think of the bruschetta and roast chicken with rosemary to come!

3 comments:

Susanne said...

Those Julia Child roses are beautiful! Your dinners must taste really yummy with all those fresh herbs.

beth said...

You are a woman after my own heart! I've added two more lavenders, some Thai basil, and transplanted four more rosemary starts in the garden. Some of my herbal favorites are rosemary shortbread, mint syrup for tea, and of course, pesto from the prolific basil plants that occupy a hot sunny spot in the hillside terrace. Love those herbs straight from the garden! It's such a sweet pleasure to be able to step out and rub them between my fingers and inhale their fragrance. And I love the way the smell of rosemary lingers on my fingers. I'm sure you will enjoy your patio herbs!

Anonymous said...

Your plants sound and look lovely. My poor plants have not faired so well in the heat and rainless days. Poor things depended on my and I let them down. My dd is so sad and it is all mommy's fault.

Roast chicken with rosemary sounds divine. What time is dinner?