Monday, June 18, 2007

Goodwill Hunting

Wow, that pun looks even more hideous in black and white, but I cannot resist. What is definitely not hideous is this black and white number-- the sort of skirt I have wanted for a long time. $4 baby! It and some other goodies were found on a trip to a little Goodwill store less than ten minutes from my house, with my sister last week.

I love thrifting anyway, and thrifting with my sister, and two little guys who were perfect angels, was pure bliss. The boys racked up on books and a fisher price tape player with its own microphone, and Kim and I were able to try things on for each other, using that sisterly honesty and the occasional enabling nudge.

The damage? $24 for two skirts, one with the store tags still on, two pairs of capris, a shirt for each boy and a teetering stack of children's books. And a morning of fun in a clean, beautifully kept store. And the satisfaction of giving something cast away another life.

My skirt, after a wash, a line dry, and a steamy iron with lavender spray, traveled to church yesterday morning. The boys are discovering the wonder of their own voices played back. We are working our way through the books. And my sister and I are scheming about our next visit. (We could not help but notice a few beautiful sweaters on the racks.) Another satisfied customer.

5 comments:

Susanne said...

I love it when I find a great deal like that. That is an adorable summer skirt!

Rachel said...

oh you are so good. great deals yield the most satisfying feelings on all accounts! makes me want to check out our store soon!!! it's been toooo long. so great to see you sat. love you.

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, I love the Goodwill. You will see in my most recent post I mentioned it twice. The skirt is beautiful. I have a number of wonderful skirts that I bought when the GW reduced skirts to $2 for a short time and then had half off that. $1 for a skirt. It was hard to resist.

I never thought of it as giving old life to a cast off. Mostly, I am just grateful for the generosity in the world.

Care to mention some of the children's books. I could write a post a week on just the books I buy.

You're lucky to have a chance to shop with your sister. My sister is that way, brutally honest. you have to love it.

I'm going to try lavender spray on my GW clothes. What a great idea.

Susie said...

OOH, lavendar spray does sound like some good advice I need to snag. Super cute skirt, lady :)

beth said...

I love Goodwill hunting, too. On a recent trip to find a good long sleeve shirt for number four son to hike in, I had time to try on several lovely little sleeveless dresses. I came home with three of them, including a very sweet Ann Taylor number that I can't wait to wear to a wedding rehearsal dinner in July! Congrats on your find. Isn't it fun!