Around our house, it has been looking like summer. Glimpses everywhere of loosely-woven days, no homework, afternoons stretched as warm and soft as taffy. Scattered puzzle pieces and sofa cushions rumpled from sprawled reading time. Bread cooling on the counter, the last strawberries in a green bowl, the first green beans steaming on the stovetop. Herbs outgrowing their pots like November will never come.
Occasionally I have mommy-guilt, hearing about the cornucopia of day camps, enrichment, travel and team sports that fills the summer of some of the boys' peers. Alas, budget and transportation limitations place many of these delights quite beyond us. But it is partly also our choice to live at this slower pace, to let the time stretch out toward boredom, and beyond that, to creativity. Believing and trusting that there are simple and rich gifts waiting in hours not filled by activity.
This is not an us-them post. Many wonderful experiences happen in those classes and camps and leagues and we will sample them too when the boys are older, when they begin to find their passions and interests on their own. But what makes me so very happy is that it feels like childhood around here, the good parts I remember, of being unhurried, and free, not "on" all the time. Dirty feet at bedtime, paperbacks spread out to mark places everywhere, popsicle sticks, glitter glue, library trips and music. Strawberry picking, blueberry picking, crisps and crumbles and ice cream. New mercies every morning, long hours of grace.
7 comments:
You don't need to be told but you are giving your children the best possible summer. The lazy days sound wonderful. Camps and classes are good but often the intention is only to occupy children. Love is the best enrichment of all.
Lazy days are the best! Children should have chances to just do nothing, have nowhere to be, to just drift from one idea to the next. I even feel sad in my dayhome sometimes, because I would love to give that opportunity for the kids, but I can't. I still have to have scheduled, planned activities even though it's summer. And personally, I think they are really missing something of what summer is truly meant to be.
amen, sounds like a lovely summer. I am a tad jealous that your warmer weather has given you beans already. We have small, green tomatoes and bean flowers, but no ripe tomatoes or fresh beans. Yet. We know they will come.
that was so beautiful missy! keep talking. it was too short! talk more of the fabulousness of lazy days. i need it so much as i continue to shape my mommying philosophy. and it makes me feel at home since j has never taken any kind of class yet! i love the reminder to let them be in the space. the exhortation to not rush them around. thank you my friend!
Missy,
I've somehow missed your blog and started reading it tonight.
It's so inspirational and you pointed me in the direction of a few other great blogs. And your photography is just stunning. Thanks for sharing with us!
Shannon
(from suziebeezieland)
We are joining you in the no-rush days...summer is for savoring. If only we could find some friends to play with! they are all busy. :(
No matter, we'll swing and play, read and camp out alone. It'll be fun knowing you are all doing the same!
Post a Comment