Last week I found a package, stuffed into the mailbox, and inside was this lovely, lovely apron, made for me by my precious sister, one state over. In it are united my loves of lemons and stripes, practicality and femininity, and I had to include a photo to show off the sweet shaped pocket.
I'm celebrating my sister Kim today (christened Kiki by my boys) because it is her birthday. Hopefully by now she has pulled her own fat little package from her mailbox. But it could never contain the treasures of our relationship. With a sister, you are both your current age and all the ages you have been. I love all the common ground we share now, but I also love that I remember her voice reading to me when I was little, movie dates with her when she was a young working woman and immeasurably cool to me, taking her day off to spend with me. I remember her as a mother of little ones as I am now, and I see her in the faces of her daughters, now in their seventeenth summer.
And no other woman's face will ever be more beautiful to me, no voice more sympathetic, no shared laughter more satisfying. Our conversations are a shifting patchwork, equal parts reason and rabbit trail, recipes, wardrobes, decorating and penny-pinching, child-rearing, books, faith and family. Simply put, she is always in my corner, on the other end of the line, listening and talking and loving. I love you sister. Have a piece of cake for me!
5 comments:
Lovely post about your sister! Happy birthday to her!
And cute, cute apron!
THis is a wonderful post and lucky you to have a sister so noteworthy!
what beautiful words about your relationship with your sister missy! and i didn't know she was as talented as you were as well! beautiful and fun apron!
You are blessed to have such a relationship!
such a sweet apron - you're lucky to get along so well with your sister.
beautiful photos too!
Post a Comment