Wednesday, October 17, 2007

In My Skin


This is the dress I wore home from the hospital. I believe my sister chose it. It hangs on my bedroom mirror, and there were once little shoes that matched it, pale yellow and covered with lace.

Looking at it, there is a lump in my throat. It is so dainty and delicate, as was the pink baby who was dressed in it and carried home. And she was loved, I know that. But she was also delivered into a heritage of estrangement, resentment, simmering unspoken anger and pain and verbalized rage and disappointment. She learned that normal was a mental list of topics and people of which you never spoke, that emotional violence ran in families like eye color and wavy hair, that there were unwritten rules to dodge direct suffering, but no way to escape collateral damage. To escape being the collateral damage.

Many of us survive these childhoods, and arrive on the cusp of the world, fired with a deep-running vein of promise: everything will be different. It is actually a touch of grace when we realize that we have survived, but there is only One who knows all our broken places, Who speaks the language of our faulty "how life works" rule book, because He was there as it was written. Only He can rewrite it, trade a thousand lies for truths, truths that always begin, "My beloved. . . "

His loving course correction has even been with me, giving me a sister who can say, "You're not crazy, I was there too." Giving me my husband, who helps me to sing a new song, who tells me I AM different, not a recording of my parents' litany. Giving me friends who have their own war stories and continued peace talks. Books and art and music that remind me that becoming a new creation is not the work of a day, but a divine dance to the day of Christ Jesus.

Every day as I grapple with my short temper and impatience, my tendency to melancholy, as I fall and ask forgiveness and get back up, when I do, by grace, speak to my kids in gentleness and relate to them with integrity and peace, that little girl is being healed by her Father. As I raise my children, He is bringing me up. He is teaching me to forgive and be forgiven, to give grace as I drink deeply of it, to know that the hurt of my home of origin was born out of a deep need for Him.

That little dress is a reminder to me that I was always surrounded by loving hands, though sometimes they were invisible.



I am back in this space, counting on my day to day sensitivity to our family's needs to monitor my computer time and energy. Blessings to you as you read these words.

6 comments:

Rachel said...

arghh, i just wrote this beautiful comment and then it got lost, forgive me if it ends up posting twice!

let's see, where was i...
that was so precious missy. and i see so much courage here. courage to be vulnerable about a tender part of your life. and even moreso, courage to look at that dress every day and choose to see God's GOOD workmanship in you and His blessing and love of you from the beginning of your life- and even before-- that's courage.

and on a practical note, maybe we're finding a new blogging voice?

Katy said...

Amen.
And those heritages that are dark, while they have shaped us, need not limit us.
God loves you and so do I.

Lisa said...

Welcome back!

This post was like I was looking into a mirror. Thank you for this. God is so good to forgive us when we come to Him for renewal and for when we slip back into those bad habits. Remembering that we are his children. He is for us. He loves us.

Love the symbolism of the dress.

tonia said...

Thank you for sharing from your heart, Missy. For me too, the blog has been such a place of personal discovery and understanding....sending my sometimes convoluted self into the world and having a loving group of people come around and say "me too!" has been SO encouraging.

Blogs only show parts of ourselves, it is true....but yours reveals a deeply sensitive and beautiful soul, Missy. I'm glad you are back here sharing this part of yourself with us. I've found, over time, that I am becoming more of what I want to be by writing and focusing on the good, true, beautiful and pure. I pray God will continue to bless and strength His work in you day by day.

(((Missy)))

You are loved,

Tonia

Elizabeth said...

I like that you hang that little dress up in a visible spot. So hopeful, Missy.

Anonymous said...

Hi Missy,

I'm new to your blog, but I knew as soon as I read this post tonight that I am going to stick around. I was just wondering today about my boys' future baggage, you know, from their Mom who still has all these character flaw issues begun in her own childhood circumstances. And here you are with this beautiful image of hope in the growing up together of mother and child in God's love. How encouraging and filled with light.

I love your sensitivity and deep reflection, it is like a soft, gentle rain on a weary soul.

Roslyn