Saturday, March 08, 2008

Sifting and Sifted

Twenty four hours. Six days and one for worship and rest. Those of you who have been reading for awhile know that I long to live with purpose and attention, intention and grace. And there is no way around it- to do so is a matrix of nos and yeses. We navigate through our days gleaning urgent from important, need from want, self from servant.

This week I tried. I said no to days without order, and yes to a plan. I said yes to homemade
pita bread
, and dancing in the kitchen to Sam's new favorite song. (To listen, look for A Woman and a Shovel on the player at the top right of the page.) I said yes to more chapters read aloud, and no to impulse buying. Yes to good conversation, and no to most TV. And of course, as always, there were nos that should have been nods, and assent when denial would have been better. Sharp words where silence would have done as well, and speed over gentle slowness. But every day, morning and evening, the Father Who delights in shining through my fractured but colorful self, cast His mercies over me and it was good.

I talked with a friend this morning about what it means that we were created for God's pleasure. He delights in us. Just as we bend over our children, flushed and sleeping and are filled with a pure joy and satisfaction, not because they did anything for us, but just that they simply are, so it is with God. In Him there is no foot-tapping impatience, no dubious waiting to see if we will "get it right" this time.

The process of sifting our lives and allowing ourselves to be sifted is not to earn love or approval, it is instead to experience His best, to allow Him to shine through less obscured, to breathe in mercy to breathe out grace.


10 comments:

Rachel said...

a truth i need to be reminded of every day for sure. glad to read from you again today!

tonia said...

a week full of Living with a capital "L"....wonderful goals, the satisfaction of meeting them and yes..

GREAT conversation.

I thought of you today while I was cleaning out the sewing space. Purge! Release! Purge! Release!

*grin*

Here's to another grand week.

Katy said...

This is lovely... simply lovely. :)

Hi, my name is Judy. said...

hi-
I noticed your comment on Posie Gets Cozy's blog about embroidery. I am teaching myself using the videos here http://www.needlenthread.com/2006/10/video-library-of-hand-embroidery.html
I find these much easier to follow than the instructions in books.
I sent this link to the CRAFT mag blog last month and they liked it too.

Have fun!

-Judy R

Rachel said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU! HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU! HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR MISSY! HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU! LOVE YOU GIRLFRIEND AND CAN'T WAIT TO SEE YOU ON SATURDAY!!!

Nicole said...

I just found your blog today! What a wonderful place to land! I will be back for more...I truly enjoyed it!

Ann Voskamp @Holy Experience said...

This spoke to me on deep levels... I kept returning to these thoughts the last few days. Thank you for encouraging me to live in His presence every moment.

beth said...

Missy,
Didn't know how to get in touch with you other than the blog, but I wanted to let you know that my #4 child is very seriously considering Furman. He's coming down in April for an accepted students visit and just got his financial aid package yesterday which makes Furman and VERY good possibility. I may be down in your neck of the woods a good bit in the next four years!

Beth

Laura said...

What a timely message for me, my friend! How lovely to be encouraged by a fellow sojourner in this pilgrimage of motherhood and life. This is my first time visiting, found you through Holy Experience. I will come back!

beth said...

Missy,
The decision is made. Andrew is coming to Furman! I'm pleased and excited for him. I'll be in the upstate more in the next few years. Hooray!

Hope you are doing better. I miss your posting.

Love,
Beth