Friday, May 30, 2008

Happy Things


OK, so not so much faithful in the blogging, but trust me when I say that I've been knee-deep in many good things, including many hours of mommying, with my sweet husband working lots and lots, which is our May and June reality. Lots of blessings have been blooming here, literally and figuratively, despite a challenging family schedule. So in honor of Friday, I thought I'd share a little list of things making me happy right now.

--The rose above, properly called "Angel Face," but nicknamed "Rescue Rose" by us. Purchased for $3 off of a clearance table at Lowes, its roots were drowning in its plastic-sheaved pot. Released to the earth, it proceeded to grow vigorously and produce this first stunning blossom.
--Panini made at home with the red cast iron panini press my dear in-laws gave me for my birthday, on homemade ciabatta bread. Makes me want to speak with those exaggerated accents the Food Network chefs use when they say "pancetta" or "parmisagna reggiana."
--How our garden grows-- tomatoes, squash blossoms, bushy beans and climbing peas. Progress seems daily now.
--Salmon burgers from Costco.
--Freezer paper stenciling. Yep, Jumped on that bandwagon. Really fun! T-shirts for my boys-- Joshua got a skateboarder, and Sam an Army plane. They wore them the next day.
--Queen Helene Tea Tree Hand and Body Lotion. OK, so I snickered a little at the name too. But it is so creamy, smells divine, and was $2 for a HUGE bottle down the street at Walgreens. Just right for this low-maintainence girl.
--Lots of little embroidery projects planned, as well as a few larger home projects. This may be the summer we say goodbye to the scary little vanity in our bathroom and hello to the dreamy white CLEAN pedestal sink.
--Reading aloud to the boys. Never gets old.
--The Happy Berry, our favorite blueberry picking spot, opens blueberry season June 15th. We will be there soon after!

--Despite gas prices and food prices and unending elections that have not really begun yet, there are lots of shade-dappled country roads to explore, there will be steamed corn to be eaten, juice exploding and butter dripping, right off the cob, there are buckets of sun-warmed berries and dirty boy feet at the end of the day. There's still bluegrass music and little white churches and freckles on noses and farmstand produce. So many good things to fill our baskets. . . Happy Weekend!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So good to read life is well. We enjoyed Blue Grass music at the Farmer's Market just this week.

Katy said...

Oh sweet summer, and what a sweet, sweet rose. :)

Liz Harrell said...

A purple rose and salmon burgers? You've just described a perfect twosome. :)

Anonymous said...

I am so happy about that rescued rose, Missy K! :) Hooray!

I love your descriptive summer writing!

I'll have to check out the Costco salmon burgers. Yum.

Tipper said...

WOW you seem to be a girl after my own heart. After reading this post-I'd say we have much much in common!!