Thursday, June 21, 2007

Of Farmer's Market Love


I knew my readers would share the Goodwill love with me! I have found so many wonderful things that I don't dare go unless I am prepared to purchase!

I got to spend an hour or two at another of my favorite places last weekend. John and I took the boys to Asheville to see some friends and took the opportunity to go to the Western NC Farmer's Market. Ever since my first visit, sometime in my childhood, I have loved this place. Long before we began to ask where our food comes from, and how it is treated, and how we can support the communities we live in or near, I instinctively loved the bins full of gorgeous produce, that moved in turn from the greens and berries of spring through the squash and beans and tomatoes of summer toward the pumpkins of fall. I loved the conversations over scale and cash register-- the neighbors meeting up with each other, the light through jars of honey and the peaceful saunter through the buildings.

I had visited our very local farmer's market with my sister, and stocked up on butter and beans and the first of the summer squash, so my spree was mostly visual. I bought what must be the last of the strawberries and a cloth sack of grits. (After a long learning curve, I can make lovely creamy grits.) But everywhere there were still delights-- herb plants growing in profusion, buckets of sunflowers and foxgloves, and something else. Something about feeling a foundation of reason and sense and mindfulness grow under what I had already appreciated and respected without being able to help it. And if our travels this summer take us back up that way, I'll be there again.

4 comments:

Rachel said...

i'm getting more and motivated to buy locally. have you heard about the whole ethanol issue?
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/asia/china/article1917927.ece
as a farmer/caller into a radio talk show announced, "as we use more corn in our cars, corn demand rises. I stop growing soy and other produce and increase my corn production. Then our country gets more and more dependent upon China for our food source. Little Fluffy the dog died last wk from his dog food from China. Do we want to be more dependent on oil from overseas? Or on our food source? I would rather the former." Raises interesting questions. I'm remembering the slogan, "every dollar is a vote." and realizing we should buy more locally.

mamaof3 said...

Hey I saw you comment on Sara's blog and I was wondering where you lived in Greenville? We live in Travelers Rest are you near me? Maybe we could get together some time! Kate

Susanne said...

Looks like a lovely store! We have a local farmer's market too, and it is wonderful for it's fresh local produce and homemade foods. Doesn't have quite the same lovely ambiance as your picture as it is in the local exhibition stadium.

Missy K said...

Kate-- Oh my goodness-- I hope you check back here-- we are near Furman, so you and I are very close!

I would love to be in touch. Please leave another comment here and we will figure out getting in touch.
blessings--
Missy