Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Feeling Septemberish


It really did change on Saturday, people. On Saturday morning there was the smallest note of coolness in the breeze. And this morning, I did not break a sweat as I hung out the laundry. Of course, it is supposed to get to 94 today. But the shift is happening. I love that this year, I didn't miss it.

We had a little anniversary fun over the weekend-- a wonderful dinner with my sister and brother-in-law and the treat of a night away while the boys were with Grandma and Pop pop. I can't believe we are celebrating twelve years-- inside I still feel like that twenty-three year old bride!

Perhaps it seems inside out, but I love that we began our life together at the start of my favorite season. Though nature wanes in autumn, fall has never lost the back to school feeling for me, the quickening of creative and physical energy, even as we draw the home circle in a little tighter, as we tuck in loose ends, trade the grill for long-roasted oven meals. Perhaps I feel my energies are concentrated, my focus is tighter and clearer.

Or maybe I just really REALLY like the little lights I bought this weekend, that look like candy corn.

Adding to this sense of well-being is the quiet delight of reading a wonderful book. I checked out
Hannah Coulter, sent on a quest for Wendell Berry fiction by the wonderful Molly. It has proven to be a soul-feeding book, more deeply true, somehow, than non-fiction. Ending each chapter feels like the end of a good meal, when you use the last crust of bread to soak up the last bit of sauce, not wanting to miss one drop.

I know these times of peace are a blessing to any family, these weeks when Joshua can't wait to get to his wonderful first grade class, these golden afternoons of snacks and schoolwork, long evenings when we are all here. The quiet mornings home with Sam, nights of deep sleep for all of us. Wishing you all this and more, swinging as we are between summer and fall, everywhere a bountiful harvest.

5 comments:

Susanne said...

This is my favorite time of year too! I love the coolness of the nights and the routine that school brings back. I too find that a sense of focus starts to return and I'm much more motivated in all areas of my life.

Happy belated Anniversary!

Rachel said...

i always love how in touch w/the seasons and calendar that you are missy. helps ground me a bit as well.

happy anniv my friend! and thx for your prayers! love ya.

tonia said...

I'm deep in Wendell Berry's agrarian essays right now. Oh my goodness...I read with a pencil and underline nearly everything. :)

Barbara said...

Thank you for such a delightful post

a very sweet life! said...

I love autumn. Always have, always will. It is rare to find others that share the same enthusiasm, especially in Manitoba, Canada, where people are supposed to covet the glorious 3 months of summer we get :). So it is refreshing to meet another like me - one who values the coolness of the mornings, the plump pumpkins, and the wonderful gift of education. Thank you for your posts :)!