Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Greenville Glitterati


The paper trees have been put on hold for the moment so I can steam ahead on the Advent Calendar. It is trucking along, life is good, boys were just taken to the dentist by their daddy and I have glitter under my fingernails. It is a gloriously sunny day, washed clean by yesterday's rain. Two embroidery projects down, one to go for gifts, and then another tea towel for me if time and crunchy neck and shoulders permit. Seems like the camera spends more time slung around my neck than snug in my bag, the boys have caught the bug and are cutting and gluing and pasting at every turn, and my papercrafting desk looks like a very pretty, sticky bomb went off.

I've learned, in my life of creative pursuits, that it always seems to be this way, a flood of ideas and energy and inspiration that has my fingertips tingling.

Or three months of evenings spent on the couch, eating Cheetos and watching House reruns.

Creative energy is always a gift of grace for me, and I've learned, learned slowly and with trial and error, to take it in, to clear the calendar, to let the house be a little dirty and get my hands more than a little dirty. It is feast or famine, and when the feast comes, best to pull up to the table, spread the napkin, and dig in.

God gives us so many gifts of fellowship with Him, ways to peek into His God-ness. To me this most precious one is the curiosity, industry and spark to make beauty, to enjoy process and product. To feel a faint shadow of perhaps what He felt, when jewels of stars slipped through His fingers into the velvet night, when He said it was good.

4 comments:

Rachel said...

ahhhhhhh... i'm learning how creating does indeed get us better in touch with our createdness... and more in touch with the Creator and how He sees us. i can just see you in there with the glitter... i'm sure you're sipping something yummy and have a great cd on. i so want to be in that zone... i can't seem to dig out of the first layer this wk...

Susanne said...

Your last paragraph almost made me cry, it was so beautiful.

beth said...

I am so happy that you are writing more regularly again, Missy. Your creative sparks are starting to ignite my somewhat weary heart. I have fellowshipped with him in sorrow more lately and am hungry for the fellowship of creative joy. I second the comment above - that beautifully written last paragraph just captures it. I hope your creative energy continues to find its way to the blog regularly!

Susie said...

OOh, ooh, I hope you'll show the rest of this calendar when you are finished!