As I type, I can hear the laughter of the boys, getting their bath from Daddy-- daredevil underwater Matchbox races, something about eating the soap-- and I am once again in the happy position of eavesdropper on the boys' club. Sometimes it is just weird to be the only female in this house of testosterone and sneakers and dirt and rowdiness. But most of the time it is unutterably dear. Mommy = Queen around here. For instance, right now I am sporting a pink plastic peace sign ring, presented to me with great ceremony by Joshua. The. Queen. Not even Valentines and I've already got my bling.
But then there is the fun dichotomy-- I am forever drawing cars, fixing forts, assessing which super hero is the most fierce-- I am utterly other, yet one of the fellas. I'm not always great at it. I am an artistic, Jane Austen loving homebody. I like clean and orderly, quiet and serene. Better damsel than knight for sure. But I would miss so much if I did not stretch myself toward that other world, strange, but fun-loving and loud and short-lived.
They are still the sweet ages when they want me with them so much, diving into their games and play. Put down the book. Turn off the Enya.
Put on the firefighter hat. Feel the love.
4 comments:
From one mama of 2 sons to another... you captured our queenness so well. The otherness, being queen and one of the fellows, as you say... love you and appreciate this!
This makes me smile. What a sweet outlook you have.
Glad you got your bling.
Missy, I love this post. I am the mom of boys, ages 20,18,16,14, and 12. Been there, done that over and over again. I do also have a daughter, 23, who is married and unfortunately living far away. But at this point in life, I share home with my dh and four very wonderful sons who make movies, play sports, listen to music louder than I like but always want me to listen to it with them, come down the stairs sounding like a herd of elephants, tease, wrestle, and otherwise exhibit plenty of testosterone driven behavior. But I LOVE every minute of it and I love as you so aptly captured, being one of the fellas as well as the queen. The queen part has grown as the boys get older and begin to have a greater appreciation of femininity. Enjoy your guys...it sounds like you do and from one who is a little further down the road, let me just encourage you that there are precious times ahead!
PS I also really enjoy all your photographs. Thanks for the beauty you share each post.
This post made me smile. Life with boys!
Post a Comment