Saturday, February 10, 2007

A Little Project




I have been saving broken crayons for a couple of months, eagerly awaiting making these "crayon cookies." There are directions all over for these, but I linked to the ones I used from the wonderful
Kiddley
I will admit, I loved the result and I think the boys did too, but the best part was really the process. Anybody who has read even a few of my posts can likely tell I have trouble "getting out of my head." But I really got my share of the childlike wonder on this one-- taking these formerly useless chips of crayon, peering in the oven window as they became little molten lakes of color, and then popping them right out after a chill in the freezer.
I think these would make a great gift, in a box in white mini-muffin paper liners, with color names like "grass," "earth," "sky. . . "
A little answered prayer in the middle of this-- as Sam and I popped these lovelies onto the counter, I was fully present with him, our time and love and wonder swirled together, ready to make something else beautiful.

4 comments:

Susie said...

I have seen this craft before- it looks like so much fun to do!

Missy K said...

Oh, Susie, it is! And it only took maybe 10 minutes in a 200 degree oven. Then I cooled the pan on the counter until they weren't liguidy any more, then popped it in the freezer for a few minutes. They popped right out-- I will definitely do this again!

Rachel said...

what a great idea missy! and i'm w/ "preschool at home..." my justin doesn't color much either... but when he does he breaks several crayons. so i should start collecting! or maybe i'll simply break sev'l myself- is that cheating?! too bad i can't break them w/my son- what a fun thing to do together. until he makes a mental note to do that again every time he colors! as my dh doug says, "what we do in moderation, our kids will do in excess!" love ya!

Elizabeth said...

we did this too, Missy--though the making them part was MUCH more fun than the using the final product part... ours didn't color as well once they were so beautiful : )