Thursday, March 29, 2007

A Quiet Egg and Some Easter-y Books for Tots


Despite the cool breeze and clouds today, spring is upon us-- so vividly that we are praying for a shower to knock the pollen down. Everything right now has a yellow haze, and sniffles and sinus headaches abound. One good shower and the air will be sparkling clean and we can fully enjoy everything that is literally bursting around us. I am hoping to get to the campus where my husband works to take pictures in the next few days. Dogwoods! Daffodils! Tulips!

In our library bag this week we have a couple of especially sweet and spring-y Easter books. We focus very much on the sacred celebration of Easter with the boys, but the innocence and gentle tone of these finds is a nice compromise to me. The Easter Chick is a precious story of a slow-hatching chick who has his heart set on an Easter morning birthday. With the help of his mom, Hilda the hen, and a wise owl's counsel, the chick gets his wish. In the process, we learn how the date of Easter is set. The illustrations are sweet, especially the expressions of the waiting chick inside his egg.

The Country Bunny and the Little Gold Shoes
tells the tale of a little bunny who dreams of being one of the swift and wise Easter bunnies. She devotes her life to becoming a mother bunny, and her children are the evidence of her intelligence and stamina. This is a classic we had not encountered before, and both boys loved it.

We are also doing a bit of reading on farms and farmers, and heading to our local Farmer's Market on Saturday. I always think every season gets better than the last for learning with the little ones.

Have a happy day.


By the way, blogger does odd things with the text size and font when I add in links and then will not let me make the post uniform, so I apologize for the distracting text issues, but I've wrestled with it for awhile and would never publish a post if I waited to figure it out. So, blogger, the plot thickens. . . subtitled. . . you get what you pay for. . . :)



No comments: