Monday, March 05, 2007

New and Improved

It started out small. A leak from the drain, kind of gross but not a big problem. Then there were the parts that had to be parted to fix the leak. They would not be parted. So, roughly eight hours and two trips to Lowes later, by ten pm on Sunday night, I give you our new sink and faucet, plumbed in by my sweetie. A classic example of what we call, in homage to the children's book, a
"If You Give a Mouse a Cookie" project.

As I fluttered around, chattering worriedly about expense and timing, John was not only hardworking but philisophical. ("It is something I can do the labor on myself, so no costly weekend call to a plumber." "We were going to replace it anyway." "Now the faucet won't leak." "Look, the deeper sink you wanted.") All the while, on his back, under the sink, where it did not smell or look pretty at all. As far as home improvement goes, I am the prettifying department. He is chief and crew of just about everything else.

I am very blessed in my husband. Not only handy, but level-headed and good-natured about it.

So that was how the weekend ended. Thankfully, it also included worship, with the Lord's Supper, hiking along a fast, cold river, black bean soup, a grandparent visit, and lots of sunshine. So this morning, I feel a bit new and improved myself, ready for mothering, for homekeeping, for crafting, for a new week of words and images and spring coming on, a little more every day.

2 comments:

meg said...

Hooray for deep sinks and good-natured husbands! I am blessed with both of those myself! Great talking with you yesterday, dear friend, and as you can see, I've taken the plunge into publishing comments on blogs... well, yours, at least!

Susanne said...

Yay for hubby having a great attitude and being able to fix it. And all the other activities in your day sounded wonderful. It's finally getting nice enough around here that a hike sounds very inviting!