The Read Aloud Handbook

The Read Aloud Handbook was on my list for the Spring Reading Challenge, and I finished it this weekend, in that I finished reading the text. I will not stop using it as a resource for many years.
The link above is for the sixth edition. I read a library copy of the fourth edition, but I can only imagine it has improved with revision and additions. I am planning on purchasing this most recent edition.
We have always read to the boys. Not really with any more intention than that we loved books, we wanted them to love books, and a vague notion that books=good. What Jim Trelease told me, and showed over and over with statistics of all kinds, was that we were doing a great thing. That by reading aloud to the boys we are widening their world, enlarging their vocabulary threefold from what they would learn from everyday conversation, and giving them the chance to "catch" the love of reading from us. Even our home, constantly with piles of our books, library books and magazines has apparently provided rich soil to grow avid readers.
The best thing I learned from this book was the importance of continuing to read aloud as a family, and specifically to Joshua, though he can read himself. It maintains connection, he can listen to and understand richer books and other materials than he can read for himself now, and the value of enjoying books together, day after day, transmits a love for it that is priceless.
The book has much information for parents, teachers, and librarians alike. It did make me aware of the sheer depressing number of worksheets Joshua does at school (in K5!) each week, but grateful that he has a teacher who reads aloud to his class.
Half of the book is a discussion of the value of reading aloud, and introduces concepts like Sustained Silent Reading, time periods in which the students / child or children AND teacher / parent have a set period of time for solo reading of their own choosing. That way, there is time for silent reading, but the child also gets to see the teacher or parent reading. Trelease also visits topics like computer-based, points-driven reading programs in schools and the phenomenon of Oprah's book club and the Internet.
The second half of the book is called the Read Aloud treasury, and has lists and synopses of books, with recommended listening ages, to read aloud in classroom or home-- a great resource.
Reading this book has definitely altered how I look at reading aloud especially to Joshua, and how I will structure our informal learning time during the coming summer. Trelease's passion about kids and books and his stories of transformed school libraries are inspirational. Despite getting a bit bogged down with statistics in places, I am so glad I read this book, as it has made me a better informed and more committed parent.
2 comments:
Missy,
We have always read aloud to our children, all six of them. When my oldest two were a senior and sophomore in college, I asked the question, "What helped prepare you for success in college?" They both said that the number and variety of books we had read aloud all through their lives had shaped them in ways that prepared them for the challenges of college and life. When our daughter graduated from college, my husband chose five of his favorite life shaping books to give to her to start her personal library. She loved them.
We continue to read every morning. A chapter book and the Bible. Right now we're reading A Tale of Two Cities. We have read through the Bible several times all together and have read so many books its hard to keep track. I'd encourage you to start a family read aloud life book list!
Anyway, you are started on a great journey of reading together as a family. Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!
And by the way, I do enjoy your blog. Can't remember how I found you, but I particularly love your wonderful photographs.
Nina and Beth--
Thanks so much for your comments-- Beth-- I enjoyed my first visit to your blog.
Nina-- I had put off reading this book for the same reason you did-- feeling like I did not need to be convinced about something we already did. But it enlarged my view in so many ways. The author's website: http://www.trelease-on-reading.com/ has many other resources as well.
Thanks for your kind words ladies!
Post a Comment