Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Spring Reading Challenge


Katrina at Callipider Days is hosting a spring reading challenge. Like so many other good things, I learned about it from my faithful commenter, Susanne at Living to Tell the Story.

I am up for anything that can tame my terrifying book pile. You can visit Katrina's blog to see what everybody is reading. I am planning on posting my progress now and then and some book reviews as well.

So here is what I'll be reading over the next three months. I also always find more at the library, so hopefully more goodies will join these:

1. The Read Aloud Handbook by Jim Trelease

2. Dwelling Places by Vanita Hampton Wright

3. Taking Care of the Me in Mommy by Lisa Whelchel

4. My Heart's in the Lowlands by Liz Curtis Higgs

5. Hold on to Your Kids by Gordon Neufeld

I am looking at this list and it is totally weighted toward non-fiction. So I am sure I will mix in some fun light fiction as I go.

Also, so inspired by by buddy Nina at
Painted Rainbows, I am going to be sharing the best of the children's books we bring home from the library over the next few months. I have been so blessed by the thoughtful reviews and recommendations of other moms who want to find the very best literature for their children. So when we find a treasure, I'll be sharing.

My love of words is one of my earliest loves--- it came before I discovered photography, before I became a wife and mother, before I had a home to care for, it stretches like a silver thread all the way back to a little girl, reading Anne of Green Gables until the cover fell off, traveling in a wagon across the prairies with Laura Ingalls, devouring Alcott and Bronte and Nancy Drew, greedy with feasting on poems and paragraphs and stories. The characters I discovered in Teribithia and Portland and New York City gave me the most priceless gift, a home in my own skin. All schoolday I was surrounded by peers with whom I felt so utterly wrong-- wrongness and otherness seemed to follow me like a fragrance. But coming home to books was like skimming out of a scratchy ill-fitting skin, and into a velvet cocoon which could transform me into anything.

And I know now that those long afternoons between the pages made me, me.

So come along. Read some good stuff, and talk about it.

It's a good thing.

(Now, can anybody invent something so I can read, embroider, build a soldier fort with Sam and watch Ina Garten roast a chicken simultaneously?)



13 comments:

Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

I love how you talk about reading and how it has always been a part of your life and how it has shaped you. I feel the same way. Thanks for being part of the challenge -- your list looks great!

Missy K said...

Thanks Katrina, and thanks for hosting the challenge. This is my first one of these things, and I am very new to blogging, so I was just happy to get all the linking right!

Looking forward to checking out others' lists!
Missy

TaunaLen said...

Wow, what a beauiful post, and I think you just described my childhood. My lifelong love affair with books is a joy to me. I don't know what I'd do if I couldn't get lost in the pages.

~TaunaLen

Deena Peterson said...

The Read Aloud Handbook is terrific...I bought it when I had my first child, and I loved it.

Katie said...

Hold on to your Kids is on my list too. A couple of years ago I was lucky enough to hear Dr.Neufeld speak. I can't wait to dive into the book.

Nise' said...

Great post! My love affair with reading began in the 9th grade when I was home sick for 10 weeks and no friends could come to visit!
Happy Reading.

Susanne said...

I've always had a love affair with reading too and loved working in the school library just so I could have more time to look through all that they had.

Great list, Missy! And if you find someone that invent that multi-tasking thingy let me know!

Rae said...

Great list, you'll have to let us know how the Lisa Whelchel book is, I've heard it's great. Happy reading! =)

Rachel said...

well, it appears that i'm the odd ball here. i'm tempted to skip posting and hide, but i think i'll "come out of the closet" and admit that i'm not a big reader, that i don't have a love affair w/books and never have. i've always admired you-kinda people! and have always been intimidated by ya! and have always wished i could commit to reading and not simply "dating" books, thinking about them, listening about them, etc. i'm generally a learner, so i think i'm not far off, but i'm definitely needing some help. thanks for the push. i think i'll sit the challenge out, but will pick a book off someone's list that looks interesting and read that. that'd be a good/reasonable start for me, especially since i still have 2 boys under 2!

Anonymous said...

I just looked at the me in mommy. will make my final decision after I hear your review. =)

Katy said...

I have a huge pile of text books to read.
I've added Eragon to my list on the recommendation of my son. ;)
He says it's better than Harry Potter.
That's all on my list for now, school work and one fun book.
I love Katy the caboose. ;)

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

I've been a reader my whole life, too. And what I would give for one of those contraptions you describe at the end of your post... ooh, that would be heaven, wouldn't it? Especially if it made sure you didn't miss the good parts (but got to skip the bad)!

Lex said...

I agree with the rest, what a beautiful post. I've been reading all my life too and my sons are following so... it's a blessing. Enjoy your books!!!